As the first sign’s spring show their budding heads you may be feeling that familiar urge to get gardening! Here are some creative tricks and tips to keep you ahead of the curve this year.
1. Transporting your plants from the local nursery – Start by lining your car with a plastic tarp and place a small step ladder on top of it. The slots between the rungs of the ladder serve as perfect compartments to protect your plants during the drive home!
2. Portable potting – Once you arrive home from the nursery upgrade your wheelbarrow by fitting a piece of plywood to the back end with wood cleats. This creates a flat surface to wheel your soil and plants to the garden in one easy trip.
3. Create a no-stick shovel – Spray your favourite shovel with a silicone or Teflon lubricant to make shovelling a breeze. A good coating will make any type of soil slip right off the shovel.
4. Take some weight off your pots – fill your large planters and pots one-third to one-half full with packing peanuts. This will take the strain out of lifting them.
5. East-read rain gauge – Put a couple drops of food colouring in your rain dial. Next rainfall, the water will combine with the dye and make it a lot easier to read.